Friday, July 11, 2008

Blueberries first days

Someone at work said I should blogg about Blueberry the little Sparrow I found laying in the courtyard on a hot cement slab where I work. I'll try and see how it goes. I will try to write something every day and post pictures of his progress. Here goes my blogging about Blueberry. Enjoy!

Meet Blueberry

Blueberry is a little Sparrow I found on July 5, 2008 2:15 PM lying on the hot cement in the courtyard where I work at Wesley Residence, its an assisted living residence. When I first saw the baby bird laying there with no feathers and eyes closed, I was hoping it was dead. I then saw it move and open its mouth and make peeping noises. I ran to get Marilyn the bird expert, and we looked to see if there was a nest anywhere. But we couldn’t find one. The walls are 2 stories high and have vines growing up them. The tiny bird was then put on a leaf into one of the flower pots in the courtyard. I would check on it now and then to see if it was still alive. Every time I came it it would open its mouth and make peeping noises. It just broke my heart knowing it was out there and was possibly going to die. I ended up sneaking a worm for it to eat. I hate touching worms and thw worse part was breaking up into little pieces. Thank goodness I was wearing gloves. I told Alex that if it was still alive when we were done with work, it was coming home with us. After I was done working I rushed to check on the tiny bird and found it was still alive with its mouth opening making tiny peeping noises hoping to be fed. I ran and found another worm and fed it to the baby bird. I placed the bird in a blueberry container with a paper towel on the bottom. When I was leaving for work Alex and I showed the bird to a few of the residents and a couple of the aides. Kathy H. one of the aides said it should be named Blueberry because it was in a blueberry container. I didn’t want to give the tiny bird a name in case it died, but that didn’t last long. The tiny baby bird had a name and was on its way to its new home. When Alex and I came home from work I told Aaron age 22 and Alan age 13 I brought a science project home. They were so surprised to see Blueberry. We quickly found Blueberry a small bowl and put paper towels inside and then placed the small bowl into a ice cream bucket with a towel inside, wrapped a towel around the ice cream bucket and placed it on top of a heating pad, and placed a candy thermometer inside. I then quickly read a little on the internet on how to care for wild baby birds. Just knowing we at least had a good start in keeping it warm made me happy. I was excited and scared thinking maybe I didn’t do the right thing by taking home with us. Every time I looked at the tiny bird, I felt I did the right thing. We began to feed it chopped up earth worms, YUCK and Chi Chi’s moist dog food. That evening I placed the Blueberry’s new nest inside Alex and Alan’s closet seeing it was warm, dark and quiet. I fed it one more time at 10 pm. I read on the internet that birds in the wild don’t feed their babies from around 9 pm to dawn the next day. I then said a prayer and went to sleep. I woke up extra early the next day to see if the tiny bird with its eyes closed and no feathers was alive. Yeah it was alive! I was happy to see it was alive and peeping. After I fed Blueberry it went to sleep in its new nest. I then searched the internet for more information on to care for wild baby birds. I had to go to work that day so the care was left up to Aaron, Alex and Alan. I printed off information on how to feed Blueberry and left the information all over the house hoping the boys would see and read them. I found Alex to be the most excited to help care for Blueberry with Aaron and Alan also willing to help. I am actually paying the boys a little money to bird sit. I was worried and excited at the same time. I called Alex 2 times checking on Blueberry before Alex showed up for work that afternoon. I couldn't wait to get home and see how Blueberry was doing. I found out David how is not involved in the care of Blueberry, was actually giving Alan advice on how to feed Blueberry. Maybe he’ll come around to liking Blueberry as much as we do.

On Monday July 7 I had to work so the care of Blueberry was left up to Alex. Alex is so eager to care for Blueberry and has no problem cleaning up after him. He is just like me, he loves animals. When Alex picked me up after I was done working, he was so excited to tell me Blueberry is getting stronger and was moving all over his little nest. When I got home I could hear Blueberry peeping so I hurried to shower so I could care for him. I searched again for more information on caring for wild birds. I then realized he will not be able to be released into the wild, and would have to become a pet seeing he is being raised by humans if he lives. But that’s OK with the family as we have a little knowledge. We had 2 Parakeets, Oliver lived for 4 years and Oscar lived for 8 years. We couldn't hold our Parakeets as I found out later they were never hand fed and hated to be touched. they had a wonderful life anyways. I’m hoping Blueberry will be very tame and will like to be held. He likes to fall asleep in my warm hands.

On Tuesday July 8 Blueberry didn’t wake up until 7 am. His peeping is much louder and he is more eager to eat. I brought his nest and all downstairs so I could hear him when he woke up for his feedings. I once again searched the internet looking for more information on how to care for him. I found out earth worms are not good to feed him seeing they can carry parasites. I am really hoping nothing will happen to him. I found a recipe on the internet for a food made with dog food, boiled egg yolk, apple sauce, water and a crushed Tums for calcium. After feeding blueberry this new food he seems satisfied and is sleeping really well at night. I can see the little eyelid slits and some tail and wing feathers starting. He still loves to sleep in my hand. I sure hope he lives. Marilyn told me Sunday that if Blueberry lives, she has a little cage that would be just right for him. I was looking on the internet today at little bird toys and bird bunkers. I shouldn’t get too excited yet as he could still die.

Wednesday July 9
I’m a little worried about Blueberry. He doesn’t like the recipe I found on the internet. He ate a little but I am concerned. When I went to work that day I received a phone from Aaron worried about Blueberry. He thought Blueberry was dying. He doesn’t like the food and is shaking his head really bad trying to get the food off his mouth. It’s too pasty. I hate this trial and error with little Blueberry. I was so worried. I called back a little later and Aaron said blueberry was doing fine. Later I called Alex age 18 to see how Blueberry was doing and he told me he’s not eating very well. He also told me Blueberry doesn’t like his food. I told Alex we’ll run to Petco after I was done working to go and see if they had any mealy worms. Blueberry seemed to like the worms. They had no mealy worms. Petco told me there is a nation wide shortage of them. She then told me about the baby bird formula but they had no syringe. I purchased the powdered formula and went to the Kmart pharmacy and gave me a medicine syringe. As soon as I got home I mixed up a tiny bit of formula and fed it to Blueberry. Blueberry loved it! I am so happy he took to it right away. I feel so guilty that perhaps I was starving him. Life is good once again with Blueberry. I love that the boys are taking part in caring for him.

Thursday July 10
I can’t believe how Blueberry has changed from the first day I brought him home. His wings and tail feathers are getting longer. His skin is also turning darker. I like to take daily pictures of him. I wasn’t so worried about him when I had to go to work today. He is taking to syringe feeding so well and I’m very happy. The boys like feeding him this way much better. I am a little worried about one of his legs. I’m hoping it didn’t get injured when he fell out of his nest onto the cement. His feathers are really showing on his wings and tail. Blueberry weighs about 1 oz. When I got home I was so excited. His eyes opened! Alan was the first to notice his opened eyes. I guess the imprinting has begun. Blueberry loves to be held. We all hold him during his feedings. I know I can’t hold him all the time. I don’t want him too spoiled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures ! Thanks for sharing them and your experiences with the baby sparrow!

Louellen

jorgenson1717 said...

Thanks for posting a comment. I'm so glad you are enjoying my blog. Its a wonderful experience for our family with raising Blueberry. So many changes are happening in such a short time.

Cindy