Friday, July 25, 2008

Blueberry is in a cage!

Yesterday I took out the cage that Marilyn gave me and got it set up for Blueberry. At first I only had a snuggle hut in a corner and a paper towel and tissue nest in another corner with a little food and a couple toys inside the cage. When I first put Blueberry inside the cage, I set him on the nest. He quickly did not like it and tried to get to the door as fast as he could. I noticed he couldn't grasp the bars that are on the bottom of the cage because of his feet. I still do his exercises to hope to uncurl his feet bus so far no luck. I let him out and he was chirping so loud and fast and wanted me to cuddle him. So I tried putting paper towels on top of the floor to see if that would help. I then put Blueberry back inside the cage and he sat for a minute befire running to the door to let him out. It was a little better for him to walk on. Finally I decided to lay a piece of paper on top of the floor and then add a layer of the apsen shavings on top. I then arranged everything inside the cage so it looked like his current home. This went much better when I put him back inside the cage. His cage is right in front of my garden window in the kitchen. Right now I have a towel covering half the back of the cage because he was frantically trying to get out the back of the cage yesterday. I'll take it off when he is more use to his cage. That evening when it was bed time, I put him in the boys closet in his old home so he can have peace and quiet.

This morning after he ate, he is pecking and eating seed a little more, and played for about an hour I put him inside the cage, and at this moment he is doing much better. He is really exploring and eating out of the little pan of seeds and grit I put in the cage. He keeps looking up wanting to fly onto the perch that is way up high. I have a couple of small perches coming in the mail which I will put low hoping to encourage him to use them and hope his feet will uncurl.

No comments: