Sunday, July 27, 2008

My worries

I guess one of my biggest worries is will Blueberry ever like his cage? Its not a boring cage but it seems like his one goal is to try and get out. The last couple of days he seems to constantly hang out near the door in the front. His favorite mirror is near the front so this morning I moved it towards the back of the cage where his cuddle hut and tissue nest are. That seemed to help. Seeing he had to go to the back of his cage where his mirror is, he was exploring the cage a little more. Yesterday he managed to fly and stay on the dish perch I fixed up for him. I have a small dish that has a plastic perch up off the floor that is close to the rope perch. He has reached the dish perch but slipped off because of his feet. So yesterday morning I took two of my distressing sticks, I use them in my card making, they look like an emery board but are thicker and wider and used glue dots to attatch them to the plastic perch. He managed to get up onto the dish perch yesterday and stayed on it. Guess my idea worked. The rope perch is right next to it and he was nibbling on it and also trying to perch on the rope without success. Seeing he is a handicap bird and can't perch or climb like other birds, one foot can grip the bars pretty good and the other can't, I am going to get another rope and safety perch and put them side by side the ones I already have in his cage. I still do his physical therapy for his feet every day but now he starting to not like it. i'll just keep trying hoping someday his feet will be better. Otherwise I just make things in his cage easier for him to enjoy.

His sandbox is one of his favorite places to play. He loves taking his sand baths as Sparrows in the wild do. We have learned not to lean over and talk to Blueberry while he is taking a sand bath. Sand goes flying everywhere, especially in our faces. He still doesn't like water so a regular bird bath is out of the question for him. I bought a bird bath spray I mist him with. He doesn't seem to mind that too much.

My next biggest worry is, will he ever need us less and less? What I mean is, will he be more independent than he is now. I am trying not to hold, cuddle and baby him during the day as much as I use to. I still do at night an hour before his bed time. it our routine seeing he is still sleeping in his little home, with is now his bedroom which is in the boys closet. Its quiet and warm in the closet. Back to my next biggest worry. The boys go back to school in early September and I'll be at work, so there will be no one to play with Blueberry. I don't think David my husband is going to play with Blueberry. Unless he really has a heart and cares for Blueberry. He still thinks I was crazy to bring him home to care and spoil him the way we do. Thats too bad because he married an animal lover and his boys are also animal lovers.

With Blueberry its like I have a child in the house, but doesn't need as much care as a child. Non the less I still worry about him. I have 5 weeks to get him more independent and on bird food. Hope all goes well.

No comments: